Quality, Safety & Environmental
Optima Chemical Group, LLC places the highest priority on safety programs throughout the facility. Our commitment to safety is evidenced by our record. Our plant has completed over 5 years of operation with only one OSHA Lost Time incident and our OSHA recordable rate is well below the industry average over the same period of time.
- Optima has been recognized for exceptional Safety, Health, and Environmental performance awards over the last twelve years:
- Georgia Department of Labor, Safety Engineering Division – “Award of Excellence in Safety” received in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011.
- Safety, Health, and Environmental Achievement Award for 2002, 2003, & 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 – awarded by the Society of Chemical Manufacturers & Affiliates (SOCMA).
- SOCMA Environmental, Health, Safety, and Security Performance Improvement Award Recipient – 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011.
- Certified as a Drug Free Workplace for 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 -Georgia Board of Workers Compensation.
Optima participates in the OSHA Voluntary Compliance Program, conducted by the Georgia Institute of Technology, for the State of Georgia. This program involves a comprehensive audit of the facility every 3 years by OSHA experts. If any compliance issues are discovered during these inspections, they are immediately and voluntarily remedied by the company.
Additionally many of our contract manufacturing customers conduct audits of our site as well. Since 2006, we have hosted ~30 of such audits. We encourage these audits and consider them valuable as another “outside” assessment of how we are operating our plant and part of our commitment for continual improvement in our safety systems.
Likewise, our Environmental performance has been exceptional as well. No audits over the last 8 years have yielded any violations of our permits. Routine unannounced inspections are conducted by the permitting authorities listed below:
The Georgia Environmental Protection Division issues and administers the Synthetic Air Emissions Permit for the facility. Pollution control equipment under this permit includes: Flare system for emergency relief, cryogenic (-70 degrees C) process vent recovery system, baghouse filter for particulate removal, and scrubbers for individual processes.
The Georgia Environmental Protection Division issues and administers the Hazardous Waste Handling Permit for the facility. Under this permit the facility is allowed to generate hazardous waste, store it up to 90 days, and ship it for disposal.
- The Georgia Environmental Protection Division issues and administers the Stormwater Discharge Permit for the facility.
- The City of Douglas (POTW) issues and administers the Wastewater Discharge Permit for the facility. This permit allows facility wastewater to be discharged to the local POTW under strict guidelines.
- The Federal Department of Treasury issues and administers the Alcohol (ethanol) User Permit for the facility.
- The Federal Department of Transportation issues and administers the Hazardous Materials registration.
- The Federal Department of Homeland Security regulates the handling/storage of listed chemicals of concern and requires detailed models and security measures be administered at the Optima Facility.
As with our Safety and Health programs, many of our contract manufacturing customers have conducted Environmental audits as well with no adverse findings.
In summary, our customers find our Safety, Health, Security, and Environmental performance more than satisfactory to support our relationships. Although we take pride in that aspect, our most important motivation is the responsibility we have for the protection of our employees and local community.
Optima Chemical quality management system is geared toward continually improving products and services and remaining a leader in custom manufacturing, new product development services, and toll manufacturing.
We show our commitment to quality by:
- Consistently meeting or exceeding customer expectations for product quality and performance
- Providing timely delivery of products and services to meet our customer requirements
- Providing products and services in the most economical way
- Providing open communication with our customers to better understand and meet their needs
- Providing a quality management system that facilitates continual improvement
- Providing a quality management system that fosters employee involvement, motivation, and training
At Optima Chemical, our customers supply the need and we provide the right product or service at the right price and on time all of the time — that’s our commitment.